Insurance is important in almost every aspect of our lives. It can be in the health sector, business sector, education, construction, or any other.
Insurance is designed to cover us from the possible losses in a business venture or anything that can affect you financially.
Save on Trailer Insurance
Call (866) 703-0853
There are several types of trailers that differ in terms of valuation. Some can cost several hundred dollars while others may cost more than 100,000 dollars. The insurance covers motorcycle trailers, horse trailers, boat trailers, ATV trailers, among others.
The cost of trailer insurance usually depends on the value and what the trailer is being used for.
How Trailer Insurance Works
Trailer insurance protects the owner of the trailer in several ways. Sometimes the insurance may cover the trailer and its contents – if there is an existing policy such as an auto insurance cover.
However, most owners assume that their truck’s auto insurance also covers the trailer towed behind the vehicle. They only come to realize later that the trailer needs its own insurance cover.
If you had already taken an insurance cover and your trailer gets stolen or damaged, you should file a claim so that your trailer insurance may recover everything a lot or got damaged.
Cost of Trailer Insurance
One of the things people always consider when shopping for insurance covers is cost. You will want to know how much premiums you will be required to pay every month – for proper budgeting.
Below are estimates of how much you can pay for different types of trailers:
- Snowmobile trailers: $500 – $100,000
- Utility trailers: $200 – $800
- Personal watercraft and boat trailers – $700 to $5,0000
- Motorcycle trailers: $8,000 – $15,000
- Horse trailers: $5,000 -$100,000
- Toy hauliers: $6,000 – $100,000
Factors That Determine the Cost Trailer Insurance
The price of trailer insurance is usually pegged on the value of the trailer you wish to insure and how much you are willing to pay. This is because most insurance companies have different packages designed to suit different types of clients.
For instance, if you are looking at lower cost trailers, you can easily add them to your existing homeowners or auto insurance. Sometimes you won’t even be charged for the addition.
However, for relatively expensive trailers, it is recommended to apply for a separate insurance cover. This is to ensure that the policy is covered with comprehensive and collision insurance.
If possible, you can even take separate liability insurance to cover the risks if the trailer gets involved in a bad accident and injures people.
Other factors that affect trailer insurance:
- Width and length of the trailer
- How the trailer is used
- How long it has been on the road
- How often the trailer will be used
Some people might not see the need for getting trailer insurance – especially if the truck will be mainly used at the ranch. Although you might get it out once in a while, it is still important to get a cover to protect your trailer from natural calamities such as storms and hurricanes.
Save on Trailer Insurance
Call (866) 703-0853
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Trailer Insurance
As mentioned earlier, one of the things most people look at when selecting trailer insurance is the cost of premiums. You will always want to keep them as low as possible – not to strain your budget.
Below are some of the things to consider:
- Theft is one of the most common threats of owning a trailer. It is, therefore, important to consider getting a comprehensive cover to protect your trailer against theft.
- If you decide to add a trailer to your auto insurance, it will only be insured as long as it is attached to that particular vehicle.
- Talk to an experienced insurance agent – to find out all the details about your trailer insurance. For example, ask him or her if the trailer insurance policy will also cover your cargo.
- Get a list of different insurance companies and compare their terms and conditions. The good thing about comparing different insurance companies is that you will know what they cover for and at what cost.
- Type of trailer you want to insure. Before you start applying for a trailer insurance cover, you should consider the type of trailer you have in terms of capacity and how frequently you will use it. You can even get an insurance expert to conduct a rough estimate to expect before you approach an insurance company.
How much trailer insurance should you have?
As mentioned earlier, the amount of insurance you need will be determined by the type of trailer you have and what you plan to use it for.
For instance, if your trailer is relatively expensive, you would want to consider a comprehensive cover. This ensures that the insurance company will pay both for the trailer and its contents in case of an accident.
In general, the importance of trailer insurance cannot be overemphasized. It doesn’t matter the size or how often you will be using your vehicle. It is important to get a separate insurance cover for it.
Finally, ensure that you get clarification as to what the insurance policy covers for and doesn’t cover.